Home / Obtaining permanent residence in Bulgaria by marriage with a foreigner who has permanent residence


According to Article 25, para 1, sub-para 2 of the Bulgarian Law on Foreigners, it is possible to obtain permanent residence in Bulgaria 5 years after marriage with a foreigner who has permanent residence, as well as after legal uninterrupted stay in the country during this period.
Obtaining permanent residence in
        Bulgaria by marriage with a foreigner who has
        permanent residence


If the spouse received permanent residence for investment, then it is no longer necessary to stay in Bulgaria for 5 years, you can immediately apply for a permanent residence permit. In other cases, you need to obtain a Visa D, enter Bulgaria with it, then obtain a residence permit for 5 years and only after that apply for a permanent status.
The permit is issued at the regional migration office at the regional police station - in the same place where the residence permit is issued. It is necessary to apply there in person with an application filled out according to the sample.

When applying for the first time without a previous five-year residence in Bulgaria, you must also provide a police clearance certificate in the host country. This document must be issued by the competent authorities no earlier than 5 months before the registration of permanent residence, translated and legalized. Those who lived in Bulgaria with a residence permit are exempted from the obligation to provide a police clearance certificate when obtaining a permanent residence. Documents must be submitted no later than 2 months before the expiration of the term of legal stay in Bulgaria. The term for processing is 2 months. If necessary, it can be extended for another two months.
The following documents are attached to the application:
  • receipt for payment of 10 levs for processing the application;
  • a foreign passport valid for at least three months from the date of submission of documents with a copy of the first spread and a page with a stamp about the last entry into the country;
  • proof of housing availability (copy of the title deed, notarized copy of the lease agreement with the address declaration);
  • marriage certificate (translation and legalization are required);
  • certificate from the bank on the availability of funds not less than the Bulgarian minimum wage or minimum pension.

After receiving a positive decision, you must pay the fee - 1000 levs. The production of a plastic card is paid additionally - 45 levs. The production time for this document is 30 days. Before ordering a card, you need to obtain a SVN - a single civil number. It, like a certificate of permanent address, is issued by the municipality at the place of residence. Important: the notification letter for the permanent residence permit must be kept. The original of this document will be required to obtain a permanent address in the administration, and a copy will need to be submitted to the NRA upon registration after receiving a plastic card. If the document is lost, it will be possible to take a certificate from the migration service: its production will cost 30 levs.


Order a free consultation.
We will be happy to help you.

+359 89 876 60 05
City number in Bulgaria
Write to the mail:
[email protected]
and get an answer within a business day
In messengers:
we speak your language
We are in social networks:
we speak your language