Home / Permanent residence for people of Bulgarian origin


Persons of Bulgarian origin can obtain permanent residence in Bulgaria in accordance with Art. 25, para 1, sub-para 1 of the Bulgarian Law on Foreigners.
Permanent residence for people of
        Bulgarian origin


First, you need to confirm the ground for this. It is necessary to collect all available supporting documents (own birth certificate, birth certificates of parents, etc.) and contact the State Agency of Bulgarians Abroad.
If the applicant's documents do not indicate his nationality and nationality of the parents, it is necessary to prepare the birth certificates of the parents, where there is such information, additional documents of the previous generation may be required.

Proof of origin can be:
  • Documents issued by competent authorities in Bulgaria or other countries;
  • Court decision regarding the Bulgarian origin of the applicant;
  • A document of Bulgarian origin issued by the Bulgarian diaspora abroad.
    All documents must be translated into Bulgarian and legalized. You can submit documents in person or by a notarized power of attorney in Sofia in the administrative-public reception office of the State Agency of Bulgarians Abroad. Based on the certificate of origin, one can apply for obtaining Bulgarian citizenship or permanent residence in the country. Important: to obtain Bulgarian citizenship in this case, you do not need to permanently live in the country for 5 years. To obtain a permanent residence, you must submit an application to the migration service at the regional police department at your place of residence no later than 2 months before the expiration of the legal period of stay in Bulgaria. You need to attach to it:
  • Document confirming the paid fee in the amount of 10 levs;
  • Original foreign passport and copies of spreads with personal data, a stamp on the last entry into the country, visa D (if any);
  • Certificate of no criminal record issued in the country of citizenship or permanent residence. The document must be translated and legalized;
  • Birth certificate;
  • A notarized declaration from the owner of the home where the foreigner will live.

Instead of a birth certificate, you can also submit a certificate of Bulgarian origin issued by the State Agency of Bulgarians Abroad. In the future, it is planned that the employees of the migration service will themselves check the information in the State Agency of Bulgarians Abroad database. The documents are reviewed within two months. After that, you can get a termless permanent residence status.


Order a free consultation.
We will be happy to help you.

+359 89 876 60 05
City number in Bulgaria
Write to the mail:
[email protected]
and get an answer within a business day
In messengers:
we speak your language
We are in social networks:
we speak your language