Home / Scientific workers


Scientists who have entered into an agreement for the development of a research project with a research organization in Bulgaria can obtain a residence permit in the country in accordance with Art. 24b ZCHRB.
Scientific workers


For this, it is necessary that the scientific organization be entered in the register under Art. 7b, para 1, sub-para 1 of the Bulgarian Research Promotion Law. Residence permit in this case is issued for the duration of the project. In the field "type of permission" the mark "researcher" is put. A foreigner accepted as a scientific worker in another EU country can conduct part of his research in Bulgaria for 180 days in each 360-day period on the basis of an agreement concluded with a research organization in an EU country. In this case, the research organization must notify the competent authorities in their EU country and in Bulgaria about the planned scientific research on the territory of Bulgaria within the period of validity of the permit. Also, a permit can be obtained by a foreigner who has a valid residence permit issued by another EU country and who plans to conduct part of his scientific research in a research organization in Bulgaria for more than 180 days, but less than two years. In such a situation, in the field “type of permit” the mark “Research Worker – mobility»,” is put, the validity of the permit can be up to two years.
The first step, as in other cases, is to obtain a long-term visa. To do this, you must personally appear at the Bulgarian consulate in the country of citizenship or legal stay. This will require the same documents as for a residence permit, a list of them is given below. The term for consideration of documents is from 30 working days, the cost is 100 euros. After obtaining a visa, you must use it to cross the Bulgarian border. Then, during the validity of the visa, but no later than two weeks before its expiration, you must personally appear at the Migration department at the regional police station at your place of residence to submit documents for a residence permit. The cost of reviewing documents is 10 levs, the review period is 14 days. The state fee will be 110 levs. The issuance of a plastic personal card is additionally paid - from 45 to 250 levs, depending on the time of document production. If necessary, if the permit period comes to an end, and the agreement with the research organization continues to be valid, you can extend the residence permit. Also, a foreigner, who has submitted an application to the Employment Agency for registration as a job seeker within 7 working days after the end of the research project, can also extend the residence permit for up to 9 months. To renew, you need to contact the migration service with the same package of documents as for the first time, adding to it a copy of the personal card received upon the first receipt of the residence permit. You do not need to provide a certificate of no criminal record upon renewal. If the renewal is made after the end of research activities and registration with the Employment Agency, it is necessary to present a document confirming the timely registration with the agency. In this case, you must submit an application to the migration service at least 30 days before the expiration of the previous permit.
List of documents
  • A valid international passport + copies of the first spread and a page with a stamp about the last entry into Bulgaria.
  • Completed visa application form or application.
  • 2 color photos (only when applying for a visa).
  • Medical insurance for the entire stay, the amount of coverage must be at least 30 thousand euros.
  • Proof of housing. Owners provide a notarial deed, tenants - a corresponding agreement with an address declaration attached to it (notarized copies).
  • A statement from the bank about the presence on the account of an amount equivalent to six (for a visa) or 12 (for a residence permit) Bulgarian minimum wages. In 2020, the minimum salary in Bulgaria is 610 levs.
  • Certificate of no criminal record issued by the competent authority in the country of usual residence no earlier than 5 months before filing. It is not provided by minors or stateless persons, or upon renewal. The document needs to be translated and legalized.
  • A copy of the agreement concluded with the Bulgarian research organization. Employees of the migration service will check whether this organization is entered in the appropriate register.

  • If a permit is issued to a foreigner accepted as a scientific worker in an organization in another EU country, then it is necessary to provide:
  • A valid residence permit;
  • Passport;
  • Compulsory health insurance;
  • Certificate of no criminal record.


Order a free consultation.
We will be happy to help you.

+359 89 876 60 05
City number in Bulgaria
Write to the mail:
[email protected]
and get an answer within a business day
In messengers:
we speak your language
We are in social networks:
we speak your language