Home / Foreign specialists


The Law on Foreigners in Bulgaria in the article 24, para 1, sub-para 4 states “foreign specialists living in Bulgaria on the basis of international treaties, one of the parties to which is the Republic of Bulgaria”. This ground is intended for foreign specialists who need to stay in the country for a long time for the reasons stated.
Foreign specialists


Obtaining a residence permit for such foreigners proceeds in the same way as in other situations. First, you need to obtain a Visa D at the consulate (at least 30 working days for consideration, 100 euros), then enter the country with it and apply for a residence permit at least 10 working days before the expiration of the Visa. A residence permit is obtained at the regional police department (MVR) in the "Migration" directorate at the place of residence. To obtain a residence permit, you need the same documents as for a Visa. The documents are examined in 2 weeks, it costs 10 levs. If a positive decision is received, you must pay a fee of 500 levs. Another obligatory payment is the production of a personal card. This will cost at least 45 levs (production time - 30 days). If you need the card faster, for example, if you need to leave the country, you can get it in 15 days (90 levs) or even after 2 days (250 levs). A residence permit is issued for a maximum of one year. Two weeks before the end of the term, if the ground is still valid, you need to contact the "Migration" for the extension of the residence permit. This requires the same documents as the first time, with the exception of a police clearance certificate.
List of documents on this ground:
  • A completed application form with a photo (for a Visa). For a residence permit, a photo on the application form is made directly in the "Migration".
  • Passport, valid for at least another year and a half from the date of submission of documents, a copy of its first spread and a page with a Visa / stamp of the last entry into the country.
  • A copy of a personal card - when renewing a residence permit.
  • Documents issued by the competent authorities proving that the person is a specialist staying in the country on the basis of an international agreement.
  • Proofs that the specialist has a place to live in Bulgaria (notarial deed or lease agreement with a declaration of address - notarized copies).
  • Certificate of financial security from a Bulgarian bank. The account must have at least six, and for a residence permit - at least twelve minimum Bulgarian wages. In 2020, the minimum wage in Bulgaria is 610 leva.
  • Medical insurance for foreigners, valid in Bulgaria, with coverage of at least 60 thousand levs (30 thousand euros), for the entire period of stay.
  • Police clearance certificate - translated and legalized. The requirement is relevant for all adults, except for stateless people. When extending a residence permit, the certificate may no longer be provided.


Order a free consultation.
We will be happy to help you.

+359 89 876 60 05
City number in Bulgaria
Write to the mail:
[email protected]
and get an answer within a business day
In messengers:
we speak your language
We are in social networks:
we speak your language